Woodland Animal Cakes
If you go down to the woods today, you’re in for a tasty surprise… A fox, badger, rabbit, owl, fawn, and racoon in delicious, almost too-cute-to-eat cake form. While they might look like they’ve been done by a professional, they’re actually incredibly easy to make thanks to our Animal Cake Mould Kit and step-by-step instructions. They’re perfect for children’s parties, and they make a great rainy day activity with the kids as they can have fun helping with the mixing and the decorating. And not to mention the eating!
Follow our simple guide and you’ll be creating your own bit of woodland magic in no time.
What you need:
- Lakeland Woodland Animal Mould – with a 6-cup hemisphere mould silicone tray to create your sponges and a silicone feature mould to help you create various eyes, ears and noses, etc. out of fondant icing. As well as our cute woodland animals, you can create lots of other animals with this kit too.
- Renshaw Ready-to-Roll Icing in: Orange, Black, White, Grey (you can also make grey by mixing your black and white icing), Chocolate Brown (for the owl), Teddy Bear Brown (for the fawn).
- Palette knife
- Icing rolling pin
Ingredients for the sponges:
- 90g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 115g caster sugar
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- 115g unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
Let’s get baking!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar and almonds.
- Break the eggs into another bowl, beat in the vanilla and yoghurt, then stir in the melted butter until well mixed.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, then pour in the egg mixture and beat until just smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 6 moulds and smooth the top of each. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until well risen, lightly golden and a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow them to cool slightly while in the mould, then pop them out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Cover each mini sponge with a thin layer of buttercream. You’ll find our buttercream recipe and top tips on our blog.
- Select the colour of icing for your first animal and roll out to a size large enough to cover one of your mini cakes. Drape the icing over one of the sponges and cut neatly around the edge. Repeat for each cake.
- Press icing into the mould (select your colour depending on the animal – use the main image on this blog as a guide) to create the features for each creature.
- Use edible glue and a food-safe paintbrush to stick the features of the animal to your cakes. If you’re feeling artistic, you can add some finishing details with an edible ink pen.
And there you have it – a menagerie of cute woodland animal cakes that everyone is sure to love. Why not pop some in a presentation box or bag and give as a thoughtful home-made gift? But you’ll have to test one (or two) for yourself first, of course…