Warm Quinoa, Couscous & Feta Salad
This Moroccan-inspired vegetarian salad is made with quinoa and couscous steamed with red onion, vegetable stock and grated orange zest, with parsley, pomegranate seeds, orange segments, and crumbled feta. The verdict? Yum!
SERVES 2 AS A MAIN COURSE, 4 AS A SIDE DISH
- 100g couscous
- 100g quinoa
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 oranges
- 400ml hot vegetable stock
- 80g pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus sprigs to garnish
- 100g feta cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Set up the steamer according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Put the couscous, quinoa and red onion into a heatproof bowl to fit into your steamer.
- Finely grate about 2 teaspoons of zest from the oranges and add this to the couscous mixture with the hot stock. Set the timer and steam for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the oranges by removing all the peel and pith with a sharp, serrated knife. Cut into segments.
- Let the couscous cool for 10 minutes, then stir in the orange segments, pomegranate seeds and parsley. Crumble the feta cheese on top, then serve, seasoned with black pepper and garnished with parsley sprigs.
Try adding a handful of sultanas or raisins with the red onion, and finish off with a sprinkling of sumac – a lovely lemony flavour spice. You can use a steamer pan on the hob to make this recipe – just use a separate timer.