Steamed Chicken & Vegetable Noodle Bowl
There’s a clean-tasting clarity to this delicious Asian-style steamed chicken dish – it’s healthy, light and full of flavour.
- 250g mini chicken fillets
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300g ready-to-use medium or udon noodles
- 1 carrot, cut into matchstick pieces
- 80g mangetout, finely sliced
- 1 pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- A few slices fresh red chilli (optional)
- 400ml boiling water
- 25g sachet miso paste
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder (or ½ vegetable stock cube)
- Fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
- Set up your steamer according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Set the timer for 20 minutes and put the mini chicken fillets on to steam, sprinkled with the lime zest, lime juice and some salt and pepper.
- When the chicken fillets have been steaming for 10 minutes, put the noodles, all the prepared vegetables and the chilli (if using) into a separate steamer compartment above them. Continue to steam for 10 more minutes.
- Just before the chicken and vegetables are ready, mix together the boiling water, miso paste and stock powder or stock cube.
- Share the noodles and vegetables between 2 deep bowls and pour over the miso stock. Arrange the mini chicken fillets on top, tearing them into pieces if you wish. Garnish with plenty of chopped fresh coriander and serve.
For a very light meal, omit the noodles. You can use classic stacked steamer pans on the hob to make this recipe – just use a separate timer.