Slow-Cooker Festive Mulled Wine
What a splendid idea! Mulled wine in your slow cooker makes a great welcome for anyone popping in for a glass of festive cheer.
Made in our 3.5 Litre Slow Cooker
- 2 x 750ml bottles red wine
- 100ml Cointreau or brandy
- 100g golden caster sugar
- Pared zest of 1 orange
- Pared zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- Orange slices
- Star anise, cloves and cinnamon sticks, optional
- Check the instructions on your slow cooker, preheating it if necessary.
- Place all of the ingredients into the slow cooker, cover and cook on Low for 2-2½ hours.
- Turn the slow cooker setting to Auto, then as your guests arrive, ladle into heatproof glasses with a slice of orange and star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick, if using.
Use a potato peeler to pare the zest from the orange and lemon – be sure just to use the coloured part of the zest, as any white pith would add bitterness.
For a fabulous alcohol-free alternative, use 750ml cranberry juice, 750ml unsweetened apple juice and 200ml of The Gourmet Mulling Syrup – sold in 500ml bottles on our website – to give a lightly spiced warming drink.