Slow-Cooked Chocolate Orange Sponge Pudding
Christmas without a chocolate orange? Impossible! Though this time enjoy the flavours in this indulgent pudding – perfect for a festive treat (or any chilly winter’s day). So here’s your excuse to curl up on the sofa and enjoy some real comfort food!
- 125g butter, plus a little extra for greasing
- 125g light muscovado or light soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp orange extract or vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp fine-shred orange marmalade
- 110g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 15g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 42g pack Galaxy Minstrels
- Crème fraiche or whipped cream and fine shreds of orange zest
- Check the instructions on your slow cooker, preheating it if necessary. Grease a 1.2 litre pudding basin with a little butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then stir in the orange zest, orange extract or vanilla extract and marmalade.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder together, then gently fold into the creamed mixture, using a large metal spoon. Stir in the milk and the Minstrels. Transfer the mixture to the pudding basin and level the surface. Cover tightly with a lid or a piece of buttered foil.
- Lift the pudding bowl into the slow cooker and add enough just-boiled water to come roughly halfway up the sides. Cover and cook on High for 3-3½ hours.
- Use oven gloves to carefully lift the pudding basin from the slow cooker. Remove the lid or foil, then run a knife around the edge of the dish and invert the pudding onto a serving plate. Spoon into bowls and serve with dollops of crème fraiche or whipped cream, with a few shreds of orange zest.
Try using a small packet of chocolate buttons instead of Minstrels.