- 500ml double cream
- 115g white chocolate, chopped
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 70g granulated white sugar, plus extra for the topping
- 15ml Nielsen-Massey Madagascar & Mexican Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Place 6 ramekins (8cm Dia. x 4.5cm, 150ml) into a deep roasting tin and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer over a medium-high heat. Add in the white chocolate, remove from the heat and whisk until the chocolate has melted completely. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until the sugar has completely dissolved. Gradually add cream mixture to the eggs while continuously whisking to prevent scrambling or curdling. Add the vanilla and whisk to mix.
- Strain the custard through a fine sieve into a large measuring jug. Divide evenly between the ramekins and add enough hot water to the roasting tin to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 40-45 minutes. To check if the custard is set, gently shake a ramekin the custard is ready when it trembles slightly in the centre. Remove from oven and set the ramekins on a cooling rack. Once cooled, refrigerate for 2-3 hours until chilled.
- Before serving, sprinkle sugar to coat the top of the chilled custard. Caramelize with a kitchen blowtorch, moving in a circular motion for 10-15 seconds, or place under a hot grill. Chill in the fridge for 5 minutes before serving with your favourite berries.