- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 50ml whisky
- 175g dried figs, finely chopped
- 175g sultanas or raisins
- 50g glacé cherries, quartered
- 80g dried panko breadcrumbs
- 80g carrots, finely grated
- 80g ground almonds
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange, plus 2 tbsp juice
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 100g dark or light muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- A little butter, for greasing
- Put the Earl Grey tea bags into a large bowl. Add 150ml boiling water. Leave to steep for 2 minutes, then remove the tea bags. Stir in the whisky, then add the figs, sultanas or raisins and glacé cherries. Stir well, then cover and soak overnight.
- Next day, stir the panko breadcrumbs, carrots, ground almonds, orange zest, orange juice, mixed spice and sugar into the bowl. Lastly, stir in the beaten eggs.
- Grease six individual pudding basins with butter. Spoon the fruit mixture into the basins, levelling the tops. Cover the pudding mixture with small circles of baking parchment, then cover the basins tightly with pieces of foil.
- Steam the puddings for 2 hours, topping up the steamer with extra boiling water as needed.
- Cool the puddings and replace the pieces of foil with the basin lids. Store in a cool, dark place. To give as gifts, wrap each pudding in muslin and tie with string, with a label to give reheating instructions. To reheat, steam the puddings for 1 hour, or microwave on high for 30 seconds per pudding, allowing them to stand for 2 minutes before serving.
Tip: you can cook the puddings in a large saucepan, with enough water to come about a third of the way up the basin sides. Cover the pan and simmer for 2 hours, topping up with boiling water as necessary.
How to make… the perfect Victoria Sandwich
How to make… the perfect Scones
Easy-Peasy Spring Bug Biscuits
Marbled Chocolate Orbs (with a hidden surprise…)
Step-By-Step Caterpillar Cake
Rosemary, Red Onion & Parmesan Focaccia for Remoska Tria
Malted Mixed Grain Loaf for Remoska Tria
Hot Cross Bread & Butter Pudding for Remoska Tria