For the Meringue
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 150g caster sugar
To flavour and decorate
- Wilton® Leaf Green Icing Colour
- A few pistachio nuts, cut into slivers
- Preheat the oven to 110°C/Gas ¼. Line two baking trays with baking parchment and set aside.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean, grease-free bowl and, using an electric stand mixer or hand mixer, whisk for 3-4 minutes or until increased in volume and very stiff.
- Add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking for 20 seconds after each addition to ensure the sugar has dissolved fully before adding the next spoonful. This ensures the meringue won’t be soft or weep’ once cooked. Continue until all the sugar has been added and the meringue mixture is smooth, thick and glossy.
- Divide the meringue evenly into three bowls
- Return one bowl of meringue to the large bowl, then add your choice of colour and flavour little by little until you have a pastel shade and the desired flavour. Whisk again until quite thick.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a round plain nozzle, pushing any air out of the top and twisting the end of the piping bag to seal. Pipe four rounds approximately 5cm wide and 4cm high onto one of the lined trays, spaced well apart to allow for a little spreading as they cook.
- Using a small, slightly dampened spatula, smooth round the sides and over the top of the meringue rounds, pressing the top down lightly, to give nice smooth edges and a flat top. Top with the suggested decoration.
- Wash the bowl, whisk and piping nozzle and dry thoroughly. Repeat steps 5-7 with the remaining two bowls of meringue mixture until you have four of each of your chosen flavours.
- Bake for 1½ hours or until the meringues are crisp and the bases sound hollow when gently tapped. To help prevent cracking, turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool down completely in the oven with the door ajar.
- Once cool, store the meringues in a clean, dry, airtight container for up to 7 days until needed. Serve with lashings of freshly whipped cream, ice cream or clotted cream.
Panettone Christmas Bread and Butter Pudding
How to make the perfect Sticky Toffee Puddings
Peppermint Bark Ice Cream
Ooni’s Salted Caramel and Banana Pie
Cox’s Toffee Apple Crumble Cakes
Cinnamon Waffle Stack with Crunchy Peanut Brittle Ice Cream
How to make… the perfect Summer Berry Pavlova