- 250g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 100g vintage or mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large egg
- 240ml milk
- 90ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 150g courgette, grated
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Lightly grease the compartments in the mould with a little vegetable oil.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in about three-quarters of the grated cheese.
- Break the egg into a jug and beat in the milk and vegetable oil. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, adding the courgette and sun-dried tomatoes at the same time. Using a metal spoon, gently stir until the ingredients are just combined – you must not beat this mixture or stir it too much.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased mould and sprinkle the reserved cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Cool for a few minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
Tip: The secret of successful muffins is to avoid over-mixing the wet and dry ingredients.