For the sponge
- A little melted butter or vegetable oil, for greasing
- 300g butter, at room temperature
- 300g caster sugar
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp milk
For the buttercream
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 200g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam
- A few raspberries or halved strawberries
- Caster sugar, for sprinkling
- Check that the oven shelves are positioned towards the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4. Lightly brush two Tala 20cm Sandwich Tins with melted butter or vegetable oil, then line their bases with circles of non-stick baking parchment.
- Put the butter into a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or a handheld electric mixer until soft. Add the caster sugar and beat well until very pale in colour and light in texture.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. Sift the flour and salt into the bowl and use a large metal spoon to fold them into the mixture. Do this as lightly as possible. Gently stir in the milk.
- Divide the mixture equally between the prepared tins and level the tops with a palette knife. Transfer the tins to the oven and bake for 30-32 minutes.
- Test that the cakes are cooked. They should be golden brown, and when the surface is touched lightly with your finger, it should spring back. Cool on a wire rack for 4-5 minutes, then carefully lift out and peel away the lining parchment. Cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the buttercream. Beat the butter until soft with a wooden spoon or handheld electric mixer, then sift in the icing sugar. Beat again until light and creamy, then add the vanilla extract and beat well.
- When the cakes are completely cool, spread one cake with the buttercream and the other with raspberry or strawberry jam. Sandwich together, top with a few raspberries or strawberries and sprinkle the surface with caster sugar. Now put the kettle on!