- 2 x 400g venison fillets
- Olive oil, for frying
- 500g mixed fresh wild mushrooms, finely chopped
- Leaves of 1 thyme sprig
- A little flour, to dust
- 500g ready-made puff pastry
- 8 slices Parma ham
- Salt and pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp water
- Wrap each piece of venison tightly in clingfilm and refrigerate overnight ─ this will help the fillet keep its shape.
- Remove the clingfilm. Place a pan over a high heat, heat a little olive oil then sear the fillets for 1-2 minutes, ensuring they’re browned all over but rare in the middle. Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
- Place a pan over a high heat, heat a little olive oil then fry the mushrooms and thyme leaves. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes until the juices have evaporated and you are left with a mushroom paste. Remove from the pan and leave to cool
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Cut the block of pastry in half and roll each piece out into a rectangle big enough to wrap a venison fillet. Refrigerate.
- Place 2 sheets of clingfilm on a work surface. Lay 4 slices of Parma ham in the middle of each, overlapping slightly, then spread half of the mushroom paste over each. Season the venison then place each on top of the mushrooms.
- Using the clingfilm, roll the ham around the venison fillets to create log shapes. Wrap with the clingfilm, adding another layer if needed, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the water and a pinch of salt and brush the egg mix over the pastry sheets. Remove the clingfilm from the venison logs and wrap each in the pastry. Trim the pastry, brush all over with the egg wash and refrigerate for a further 30 minutes.
- Score the pastry lightly, brush with the egg wash and bake at 200°C/400°F for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Tip: Use a meat thermometer to check the venison when you remove it from the oven ─ it should be roughly 50-60°C for rare to medium-rare.
Yakitori Mini Burgers with Wasabi Dip
Jerk-Spiced Chicken Drumsticks
Orange, Thyme & Pine Nut Roasted Chicken for the Remoska®
Mary Berry’s Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Anjula Devi’s Chicken Curry
Anjula Devi’s Chicken Thighs with Pomegranate
Red Thai Chicken & Pineapple Curry
Steamed Chicken & Vegetable Noodle Bowl