- 1 large beetroot, cooked and peeled
- 3 bananas
- 175g oats
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g nuts (try a mixture of almonds and hazelnuts)
- 70g blackcurrants (fresh or frozen)
- 45g oats
- 50g nuts, roughly chopped (try a mixture of almonds and hazelnuts)
- 50g seeds (try a mixture of linseeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 50ml almond milk (plant milk of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare the bottom layer – in a blender or food processor, blitz the beetroot and bananas to a purée then add the oats, syrup and nuts and pulse a few times until finely chopped (but not a completely smooth paste).
- Line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin (or approximately similar size) with greaseproof paper or baking parchment, and spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the tin.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the top layer, then spread them evenly over the bottom layer.
- Return them to the oven for a further 12-15 minutes until starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool. Then slice into individual bites or bars and enjoy.