For the buttercream
- 8 egg whites
- 500g caster sugar
- 500g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and softened
- 3 tbsp instant coffee powder dissolved in 1 tsp boiled water, allowed to cool
- Place the egg whites and sugar in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved (stirring continuously will help prevent the egg whites cooking).
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk with an electric whisk until it makes a meringue (around 5 minutes). Continue whisking and gradually add the butter to the mixture (it should take about 10 minutes) the mixture may curdle but it will correct itself and become light and fluffy.
- Transfer half the mixture into another bowl, add the dissolved coffee to one of the bowls and mix well. Refrigerate both bowls until required.
- Spread a little of the meringue buttercream on top of your cake ─ we think it goes really well with chocolate cake!
- Fill one side of the Duo Colour Icing Bag with the coffee flavoured buttercream and the other side with the plain buttercream. Pipe onto the sides of your cake using our photograph as a guide.