- 800g minced belly pork
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 3 green chillies, finely chopped (seeds and all)
- 12 tsp cracked black pepper
- 20 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 40g dried breadcrumbs
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 70g green olives, pitted and chopped
- 12 tsp salt
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled Olive oil, for frying
For the salsa
- 1 cucumber
- 4 spring onions, trimmed
- 112 bunch of dill, stalks removed, leaves finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp puréed green olives 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Grated zest and juice of 1 small unwaxed lemon
- Burger or brioche buns
- Slices of cheese (optional)
- Tomato ketchup (optional)
- To make the burgers, put all of the ingredients, except the oil, in a large bowl and mix thoroughly until well combined. Work together with your hands until the mixture forms a firm ball. Divide into 6 equal portions, shape into patties and place on a tray. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or overnight if it’s more convenient, to allow time for the flavours to develop.
- Prepare the salsa about 20 minutes before you intend to serve the burgers. Peel the cucumber, halve lengthways and scoop out the seeds. Finely dice the cucumber flesh and place in a bowl. Thinly slice the spring onions and add to the cucumber along with all the other the ingredients. Toss to combine and set aside to allow the flavours to mingle.
- When you’re ready to cook the burgers, brush them with olive oil. Heat up your grill, barbecue or frying pan. You don’t want to cook them on too fierce a heat, so turn the grill or pan down to medium, or cook the burgers towards the cooler edges of the barbecue.
- Gently colour the burgers for 4─5 minutes on one side then flip them over and cook for a further 2 minutes or until cooked right through. Remove the burgers from the heat and leave to rest on a warmed plate for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the burgers with the salsa sandwiched in buns, with cheese and/or tomato ketchup if you like.
Recipe extracted from Tom’s Table by Tom Kerridge, published by Absolute Press, £25. © Tom Kerridge. Photography © Cristian Barnett.
Ooni’s Salami, Green Chilli & Olive Pizza
Ooni’s Flame Cooked Courgette and Cherry Tomato Pizza
Ooni’s Pepperoni Pizza
Ooni’s Green Pesto and Goats’ Cheese Pizza
Ooni’s Margherita Pizza
Ooni’s Milano Salami and Rocket Pizza
Ooni’s Roast Turkey, Camembert & Cranberry Pizza
Ooni’s Perfect Flame-Cooked Steak