- 1kg minced pork
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 green peppers, cored, deseeded and diced
- 8 green chillies, chopped (seeds and all)
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 150ml water
- 12 bunch of spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- A bunch of mint, stalks removed, leaves shredded
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 unwaxed limes
- Wholemilk yoghurt
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the minced pork, cumin seeds and thyme and dry-fry for 10─15 minutes, breaking up the meat and stirring frequently, until it’s dry, browned and crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the browned spicy meat to a bowl. Drain off any excess fat, keeping a little in the pan to cook the vegetables.
- Return the pan to a medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until softened. Stir in the green peppers and chillies and cook for a further few minutes, then return the browned meat to the pan. Give everything a good stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, deseed and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Pour the water into the pan, add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Turn the heat to its lowest setting and let the chilli bubble away, uncovered, for around 15─25 minutes, until a lot of the liquid has evaporated. You want the mixture to be juicy but not too liquid and saucy.
- Stir in the spring onions, salt and pepper. Finally, stir through the mint, and the lime zest and juice and allow to bubble for a couple of minutes longer. Take off the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes to let the flavours develop before serving.
- Spoon the chilli into warmed bowls and serve with plenty of yoghurt and tortillas, with a crisp green salad on the side if you like.
Recipe extracted from Tom’s Table by Tom Kerridge, published by Absolute Press, £25. © Tom Kerridge. Photography © Cristian Barnett.
Mexican Pull-Apart Pork
Barbecued American-Style Pork Ribs
Shredded Beef Tacos
Herby Toad-in-the-Hole with Red Onion Gravy
Wendy’s Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney