- 500g minced pork
- 8 ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 112 tsp smoked paprika
- 112 tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 green chillies, diced (seeds and all)
- 4 pickled green chillies, sliced
- 8 flour tortillas
- 250g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the minced pork and dry-fry for about 20─25 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mince is nicely browned ─ it should have a crisp and crunchy texture. Drain the mince in a colander to remove any excess fat. Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper.
- While the mince is cooking, prepare the tomatoes. Have a bowl of iced water ready and bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Immerse the tomatoes in the boiling water for 10─15 seconds then immediately plunge into the iced water to stop them cooking. Peel, quarter, deseed and dice the tomatoes set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3.
- Return the frying pan to a medium heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and toast for a couple of minutes, rattling the pan, until they’re fragrant ─ be careful not to burn them. Remove from the pan and cool slightly. Using an electric spice grinder or pestle and mortar, grind the seeds to a fine powder.
- Return the ground spices to the pan, along with the smoked paprika and black pepper, and heat gently for 1 minute. Stir in the mince and chopped fresh chillies. Heat for a further couple of minutes, then season well with salt. Stir in the pickled chillies and diced tomatoes and cook very gently, stirring from time to time, for about 10 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Meanwhile, lay the tortillas on 2 or 3 baking sheets and bake for 8─10 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and whack the oven temperature up to 220 deg C/Fan 200 deg C/Gas 7.
- Spread the pork mixture evenly over the tortillas and scatter the grated cheese on top. Return to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the tortillas are crisp. Stack them on a large plate and serve.
Recipe extracted from Tom’s Table by Tom Kerridge, published by Absolute Press, £25. © Tom Kerridge. Photography © Cristian Barnett.