- 200g raw cane sugar
- 100ml water
- 30g unsalted butter
- 120ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 6 lolly sticks
- 6 apples or pears
- 50g chopped walnuts or pistachios, optional
- Line an oven tray with Lakeland’s Magic Non-Stick Liner or baking parchment.
- Place the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed pan and warm over a medium heat, without stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add the butter, syrup and vinegar, and gently swirl the pan for a few seconds to combine the ingredients. Simmer for 15 minutes, without stirring, taking care not to let the mixture boil.
- Test to see if it is ready ─ drop a little of the caramel into a cup of cold water. If ready, it will turn into a soft, squeezable ball.
- Place the nuts in a bowl, if using. Push the lolly sticks into the cores of the apples or pears and carefully dip them into the toffee, rolling until covered. Dip the base of the fruits into the nuts, if using, and stand on the oven tray to set.
Tip: We used twigs from an apple tree that were cleaned and sterilised in boiling water before being pushed into the core, but traditional lolly sticks are just as lovely!