For the shortbread base
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 225g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
For the topping
- 20g butter
- 20g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 4-5 satsumas, tangerines or ‘easy peelers’, peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Put the glass fibre pan onto a baking sheet.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until combined (there’s no need for it to be light and fluffy). Add the lemon zest, then work in the flour and salt with a wooden spoon. Knead for a few seconds until smooth. Press over the base of the tray in an even layer, using the back of a spoon. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the shortbread is baking, put the butter, sugar and golden syrup into a frying pan and heat gently until melted. Add the slices of satsuma, tangerines or ‘easy peelers’ and bubble gently for 4-5 minutes, until syrupy and just beginning to caramelise.
- Remove the shortbread base from the oven and arrange the fruit over the surface of the shortbread, spooning any syrup over the top. Return to the oven to bake for 5 more minutes. Cool, then cut into 12 slices.
Tip: If you like, add a few pecan halves to the syrupy citrus fruit.
How to make… the perfect Victoria Sandwich
How to make… the perfect Scones
Easy-Peasy Spring Bug Biscuits
Marbled Chocolate Orbs (with a hidden surprise…)
Step-By-Step Caterpillar Cake
Rosemary, Red Onion & Parmesan Focaccia for Remoska Tria
Malted Mixed Grain Loaf for Remoska Tria
Hot Cross Bread & Butter Pudding for Remoska Tria