- 400g koshihikari rice or sushi rice
- 200g shirataki noodles, drained (rice or cellophane noodles may be used instead)
- 125ml Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 60ml mirin or sweet white wine
- 300g beef eye fillet, sliced paper thin
- 2 spring onions, sliced diagonally into 2cm (34″) lengths
- 1cm (12″) piece fresh ginger (5g), grated finely
- Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender drain, cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place noodles in medium pan of boiling water. Cook for 1 minute, separating noodles. Drain noodles, cut into 10cm (4″) lengths.
- Bring soy sauce, sugar and mirin to a boil in medium saucepan. Add beef cook, stirring, until beef just changes colour. Strain beef over medium heat-proof bowl return sauce to same pan.
- Add onion and noodles to pan, simmer for about 3 minutes or until onion softens. Return beef to pan, add ginger, stir until heated through.
- Divide rice among serving bowls. Top with beef mixture.