- A little butter, for greasing
- 200g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 150g dark or light muscovado sugar
- 100g butter
- 70g black treacle
- 30g golden syrup
- 40g Buderim Uncrystallised Naked Sweet Ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 100ml milk
- Position an oven shelf towards the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Lightly grease the compartments of the traybake tin with a little butter.
- Sift the flour, salt and spices into a mixing bowl, then stir in the sugar.
- Put the butter, treacle, syrup and uncrystallised ginger into a saucepan and heat gently until just melted, taking care that the mixture doesn’t get too hot. Pour into the dry ingredients. Beat together the eggs and milk, add to the mixture and stir until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 25 minutes until risen and firm. Cool in the tin on a wire rack, then remove from the tin.
Tip: If you like, decorate the cakes with glacé icing made with 75g icing sugar mixed with a little water. Drizzle over the cakes and finish off with thin slices of uncrystallised ginger.