- 300g butter
- 250g soft light brown sugar
- 8 tbsp black treacle
- 300ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 450g plain flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g pitted prunes, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger extract
- 450g icing sugar
- 6 tsp ground ginger
- Crystallised Ginger, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C/350 degF/gas mark 4.
- Place butter, brown sugar and treacle in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until melted.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the milk, then leave to cool before beating in the egg.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl, pour in the saucepan contents and stir together until the mixture reaches the consistency of batter.
- Add the chopped prunes and ginger extract then mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the lightly greased ring mould and bake for approx. 1 hour. When the cake is firm to the touch, remove from oven and leave to cool.
- To make the topping: sift the icing sugar, add the ground ginger and mix with about 4 tbsp warm water. Drizzle over the top of the cake and decorate with Crystallised Ginger.