For the loaves
- 110g butter, melted
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey vanilla extract
- 225g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 100g carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g courgettes, grated
For the icing
- 80g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- Finely grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease the holes in the tin with a little of the melted butter.
- Add the orange juice, beaten eggs and vanilla extract to the remaining melted butter, stirring to mix.
- Sift the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, carrots and courgettes. Add the melted butter mixture and stir together well, but do not beat or overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Cool in the tins for 15 minutes, then turn out carefully. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix together the icing sugar and orange juice. Drizzle over the cooled cakes then scatter a little orange zest on top.
Tip: You can freeze these cakes for up to 2 months.