- 1kg plums, stones removed, quartered
- 60ml orange juice
- 250ml water
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- ½ tsp cloves
- 1 star anise
- Approx. 1.1kg granulated sugar
- 125ml port
- Combine plums, juice and water in a large pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until plums are pulpy. Meanwhile, tie the cinnamon, cloves and star anise in muslin.
- Using a cup, measure fruit mixture into a large pan ─ allow a cup of sugar for each cup of fruit mixture. Add the port and muslin bag. Stir over high heat without boiling, until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil boil (uncovered) without stirring for 35 minutes, then test for a set. Test every few minutes until setting point is reached.
- Discard muslin bag. Pour into warm, sterilised jars and seal immediately.