For the bars
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 70g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp matcha (powdered green tea leaves)
- 40g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200ml coconut milk
- 80g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- Coconut shreds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Bash the cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle (or with the end of a rolling pin) and discard the green husks. Grind the small black seeds to a powder.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground cardamom, desiccated coconut, caster sugar, matcha, flour, salt and nutmeg. Add the eggs, vanilla extract and coconut milk and stir together well.
- Spoon the mixture into the compartments of the mould. Bake for 20 minutes until firm. Cool in the mould for 10 minutes, then pop out carefully and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To decorate, mix together the icing sugar and coconut milk to make a smooth icing. Spread over the bars, then sprinkle with toasted coconut shreds.
Tip: You can freeze the bars for up to 3 months – if wrapped individually you can take out as many as you need.