- 8 boneless chicken thighs, skin removed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, peeled and cut into thick wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 fresh long red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp saffron threads
- 2 tbsp honey
- 500ml chicken stock
- 400g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 small courgettes, thickly sliced
- 6 fresh dates, halved and pitted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- Toss the chicken in the flour to coat, shake off the excess. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan, cook the chicken in batches until browned. Remove from the pan.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same frying pan and cook the onion, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic, chilli and spices. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes then stir in the honey.
- Place half the chicken in a large slow cooker and cover with half the spice mixture. Top with the remaining chicken then the remaining spice mixture and pour in the stock. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Add the chickpeas, courgettes and dates around the outside edge of the cooker. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Stir in the lemon juice, season to taste and sprinkle with coriander.
Tip : Serve this dish with couscous or warmed flatbreads.
Prue Leith’s Chicken Schnitzel with Gremolata
Thai Red Chicken Curry
Bubble & Squeak Turkey and Ham Pie
Ooni’s Roast Turkey, Camembert & Cranberry Pizza
Prue Leith’s Chicken Karahi
Lemony Chicken Soup with Leeks and Barley for Remoska Tria
Leftover Sunday Dinner Soup with Crispy Bacon