For the pastry
- 225g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 110g chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp chilled water
For the filling
- 250g fresh spinach
- 3 large eggs
- 250g ricotta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g feta cheese, broken into chunks
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg (freshly ground, if possible)
- A little milk, to glaze
- To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, then rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sesame or poppy seeds, then add the water, using a measuring spoon for accuracy. Stir with a knife, then bring the dough together with your hand to make a soft (not sticky) dough.
- Transfer to a surface dusted with flour and knead lightly for a few moments until smooth. Wrap and chill for 10 minutes. At this point, preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
- Make the filling. Put the spinach into a large saucepan with a little water. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the leaves have wilted, then drain thoroughly in a colander, rinsing with cold water to cool quickly. Squeeze out the excess moisture with the back of a spoon or your hands. Set aside.
- Beat together the eggs and ricotta cheese and season with a little salt and black pepper.
- Roll out about two-thirds of the pasty thinly, and use it to line a 23cm round pie tin (our Enamel Base Loose-Based Round Tart Tin is ideal). Add the spinach in little clumps, then the feta cheese. Pour in the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with a little ground nutmeg.
- Roll out the remaining pastry, then use Lakeland’s lattice pastry cutter to make the lattice top. Dampen the edges with water and fit over the filled pie dish, pressing the edges together. Brush the surface with a little milk.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Tip: The pie can be served hot or cold – either way, it’s delicious!
Roasted Butternut Squash, Courgette & Red Pepper Lattice Pie
All-Time Favourite Cheese & Onion Lattice Pie
How to make… the perfect Lasagne with Sue Ashworth
How to make… the perfect Beef Wellington with Sue Ashworth
How to make… the perfect Beef Casserole with Horseradish and Parsley Dumplings with Sue Ashworth
Prue Leith’s Hot & Sour Soup with Prawns
Prue Leith’s Classic Paella with Seafood
Prue Leith’s Chicken Karahi