For the cake
- 375g soft margarine
- 375g caster sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 375g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 600g Renshaw Vanilla Frosting
- 1kg Renshaw Ready-to-Roll White Icing
- Food colouring or coloured icing
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas 4. Grease and flour two Medium Hemisphere Cake Pans.
- Cream the margarine and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well between each addition, then add the vanilla extract.
- Sift in the flour and continue to mix until smooth and thoroughly blended.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared cake pans, level out and bake for 60-70 minutes. Your cakes should be springy to the touch, and a skewer inserted into the centre of each should come out clean. Leave in the tins until completely cool.
- Once cool, trim off any excess from both cakes and trim a small amount from the bottom of one of them. Spread a little frosting onto this flat base and place on a cake board. Add a little more frosting to the top of this bottom cake and add the top cake to make a sphere.
- Cover the whole of the sphere with a thin, smooth crumb coat of frosting. Once completely covered, place in the fridge for about half an hour to set.
- Lightly dust a work surface with icing sugar and roll out 800g of the ready-to-roll icing to a circle at least 30cm across. Place onto the cake and, using your hands, gently smooth from the top downwards before trimming any excess from the base.
- To decorate, you will need the remaining 200g of white ready-to-roll icing, plus small amounts of ready-coloured icing or white icing coloured using food colouring.
- To make the snowmen figures, push ready-to-roll icing into the mould, starting with small amounts of coloured icing for the detail – black for the buttons, eyes and hat, orange for the nose red and green for the hat trim, red for the robin’s breast and brown for his body – and finishing with white icing for his body.
- For the snowflakes, roll out icing and stamp out shapes in all three sizes – we dusted the smallest size with blue edible lustre to get a sparkly effect.
- Attach your snowmen and flakes to your bake using a little edible glue or frosting, cutting some of them up so it looks like they’re partly inside the ‘snowball’.