For the sandwiches
- 4-5 slices medium-cut wholemeal bread from a large loaf
- 100g smoked salmon
- 1 sachet powdered gelatine
- 90ml just-boiled water
- 250g cream cheese or reduced fat soft cheese
- 20g watercress, finely chopped
- 80g cucumber, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To garnish and serve
- Thin cucumber slices
- Watercress sprigs
- Lemon wedges
- Cut 12 rectangles from the slices of bread, the same size as the compartments of the mould – once you’ve cut one accurately, use it as a template for the others.
- Repeat with the smoked salmon: it’s fine if you have to patch them. Keep these refrigerated. Chop any trimmings from these rectangles very finely and set aside.
- Sprinkle the powdered gelatine into the just-boiled water and leave for 5-10 minutes to completely dissolve into a clear liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Mix together the cream cheese, watercress, cucumber and any salmon trimmings. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the gelatine liquid thoroughly, then pour the mixture into the compartments of the silicone mould. Place the bread rectangles on top. Chill in the fridge for about 1 hour, or until set.
- Carefully remove from the silicone mould, inverting onto a work surface or serving plate so that the bread is on the base. Lay the smoked salmon rectangles on top to create a ‘sandwich’. Garnish with cucumber slices and watercress and serve with lemon wedges.
Tip: To take to a picnic, pack in a suitable container, with non-stick baking parchment between the layers. Keep in a cool box or bag with freezer blocks to keep chilled.
Leftover Sunday Dinner Soup with Crispy Bacon
Minty Pea & Potato Soup with Crispy Kale and Seeds
Courgette, Leek & Goat Cheese Soup with Halloumi Croutons
Cauliflower Soup with Chorizo and Croutons
Curried Squash, Lentil & Coconut Soup with Toasted Coconut
Roasted Carrot, Sweet Potato & Turmeric Soup with Sriracha and Coconut Yoghurt
Toasted BLT Bagel
Toasted Panini with Mushroom, Swiss Cheese and Caramelised Onion