- 50g butter
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme, stalks removed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, core removed, chopped, optional
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 150g celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 300g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1.5 litres fish or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 200g mixed fish (smoked, white, salmon) skinned, boned and cut into small pieces
- 100g mixed seafood (mussels, cockles, prawns, squid)
- 300ml double cream
- Cayenne pepper
- Small bunch parsley, stalks removed, chopped
- Place a large, heavy-based pan on a medium heat, add the butter, bay leaves, thyme and onion and cook until the onion is soft but not coloured.
- Add the celery, fennel (if using) and leek and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the celeriac, potatoes and stock, bring to the boil then simmer for 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste then blend the soup until smooth and thick. Add the fish and seafood and cook on a low heat for approx. 5 minutes until the fish turns opaque.
- Add the cream, stir, add a pinch of cayenne pepper and check the seasoning. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and a little cayenne pepper.
Tip: Delicious with crusty bread and a squeeze of lemon to taste.
Leftover Sunday Dinner Soup with Crispy Bacon
Minty Pea & Potato Soup with Crispy Kale and Seeds
Courgette, Leek & Goat Cheese Soup with Halloumi Croutons
Cauliflower Soup with Chorizo and Croutons
Curried Squash, Lentil & Coconut Soup with Toasted Coconut
Roasted Carrot, Sweet Potato & Turmeric Soup with Sriracha and Coconut Yoghurt
Spring Vegetable Minestrone for the Remoska®
Chilled Cucumber & Yogurt Soup