- Butter, to grease
- 8 sponge fingers (boudoir biscuits)
- 500g full fat cream cheese
- 80g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100ml double cream
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the topping
- 3 clementines or satsumas, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- A little icing sugar, for sprinkling, optional
- A few mint leaves, optional
- Check the instructions on your slow cooker, preheating it if necessary.
- Grease a 15cm diameter straight-sided baking dish or soufflé dish with butter, then line the base and sides with non-stick baking parchment. It’s best not to use a cake tin, as the cheesecake is cooked bain-marie style (in a water bath) in the slow cooker, and you want to avoid any seepage. Arrange the sponge fingers over the base of the dish, trimming them to fit.
- Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl to soften it, then add the caster sugar and beat again until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, cream and vanilla bean paste or extract together. Gradually add this to the cream cheese mixture, then stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Tip into the prepared dish and cover tightly with a piece of buttered foil.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add enough just-boiled water to come roughly halfway up the sides of the dish. Cover and cook on High for 2-2½ hours, until set.
- Carefully lift from the slow cooker using oven gloves. Allow the cheesecake to cool completely (it will shrink a little). When cool, refrigerate for several hours, or overnight.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the dish, then turn out the cheesecake onto a board or plate. Peel away the baking parchment. Place a serving plate on top, then carefully invert, so that the cheesecake is the right way up.
- To decorate, arrange the sliced clementines or satsumas over the top of the cheesecake and sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar and add a few mint leaves, if using.
For a simple topping alternative, warm some fresh or frozen mixed berries with 2 tbsp caster sugar and spoon over the cheesecake once cool.