- 675g stewing (braising) lamb
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4-6 celery sticks, sliced
- 675g carrots, thickly sliced
- 3tbsp pearl barley, rinsed
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves or pinch of dried mixed herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 600ml near-boiling lamb or vegetable stock
- Trim all excess fat from the lamb and cut into 3cm pieces. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the lamb and fry until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry gently for 5 minutes until golden. Add the celery and carrots then cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until beginning to soften. Transfer to the ceramic cooking pot and switch the slow cooker to high.
- Sprinkle the pearl barley over the vegetables, then arrange the lamb pieces on top.
- Lightly season then scatter with the herbs. Pour in the stock ensuring all the meat is covered.
- With the lid on, cook on auto or high for 2 hours. Using a large spoon, skim off any scum that has risen to the surface of the casserole.
- Re-cover the pot and leave on auto or switch to low for a further 4-6 hours or until tender.
- Serve with spring cabbage and jacket potatoes.