- 160g butter, at room temperature
- 90g caster sugar
- 260g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 350g pot Renshaw’s Luxury Bakers’ Caramel
- 200g dark or milk chocolate chips
- Grease the Lakeland Brownie tin with a little butter and line with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, Gas 5.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until creamy – it doesn’t need to be light and fluffy. Sift the flour and salt into the mixture and work it in with the wooden spoon until it looks like crumbs. Gather together with your hands and knead until smooth, without over-working.
- Put the dough into the brownie tin and press it into an even layer with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and cool for 2-3 minutes.
- While the shortbread is still hot, spoon the caramel evenly over the surface (the warmth will help loosen it slightly).
- Melt the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Carefully pour the melted chocolate over the caramel and spread evenly, using a palette knife. Cool and chill until set, then cut into 16 slices.