Strictly speaking, since a shepherd looks after sheep, this should be made with minced lamb and if made with beef, is called cottage pie.
- 1 dsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 500g (1lb 2oz) minced lamb or beef
- 150ml (¼pt) vegetable stock
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1¾ kg (3.8lb) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- A little butter and milk for the mash
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, and fry the onion for a few minutes until starting to brown. Add the carrot and the mince, stir and fry until the meat has all browned. Tip the contents of the frying pan in to the Remoska. Add the salt and pepper, the herbs and stock, stir well, put the lid on and switch on. Leave to cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut up the potatoes and boil in slightly salted water until just tender. Drain the potatoes, and mash them with seasoning and a little butter and milk. Spread the mashed potato over the meat base which is now cooked, put the lid back on and cook in the Remoska until nicely browned on top, about 10 to 15 minutes.