For the cake
- 600g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 375g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 600g golden caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 12 lemons
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 300ml buttermilk, at room temperature
- Juice of 1½ lemons
To fill the pockets
- 400g icing sugar
- 3 drops Pink food colouring from Wilton® Colour Right System
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Lightly grease both the top and bottom ring and dust with flour.
- Sift the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then add the lemon zest. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Mix the buttermilk and lemon juice in a jug. Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and lemon juice mixture.
- Divide the cake mixture between the two parts of the Fillables Tin, level the tops, then bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Please note: there will be a difference between baking times as the top pan is shallower than the bottom. Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To assemble the cake, place the bottom layer onto a serving plate. Spoon a little of the vanilla frosting into each cavity, then divide the pearls evenly between the cavities. Spread the remaining vanilla frosting over the bottom layer of the cake, then place the top layer of the cake on top.
- To decorate, mix the icing sugar with the pink food colouring and enough water to make a smooth icing. Drizzle the icing over the cake, letting it run down the sides, then top with the lemon zest.