- 2 large aubergines, halved
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sausages, skinned and broken into small pieces
- Large handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Small bunch of fresh sage, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh white breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the aubergines on a baking sheet, drizzle with 3tbsp of the oil and season well. Roast for 25-30 minutes until really soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and gently cook the onion and red pepper for 10 minutes until very soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the sausage pieces to the pan and fry until golden brown, then add to the onion and pepper mixture. Once the aubergines are cooked, scoop out most of the flesh, leaving a thin layer next to the skin. Roughly chop the scooped-out flesh and add it to the the sausage and veg mixture. Season and stir through the herbs.
- Spoon the mixture back into the aubergine shells, then scatter with the breadcrumbs. Cook for 10 minutes until golden brown. Serve with garlic bread and a green salad.
PER SERVING 312kcals, 23.9g fat (6.8g saturated), 7.4g protein, 18.1g carbs, 6.5g sugar, 1.2g salt, 4.5g fibre
Chef’s tip: Make it veggie: Cook 75g quinoa according to the packet instructions and add to the bowl at the end of step 2. Omit the sausage meat in step 3 and continue as in the recipe.