- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 8 good-quality Lincolnshire sausages
- 2 red onions, sliced into thin wedges
- 115g black pudding, in chunky pieces
- Small bunch of fresh thyme, leaves stripped, plus extra for sprinkling
For the batter
- 225g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 medium free-range eggs, whisked
- 150ml whole milk
- 150ml Guinness
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ fan 200°C/ gas 7. First, make the batter. Sift the flour, salt and some pepper into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Mix together the eggs, milk and Guinness, then pour into the well. Using a wooden spoon, incorporate the flour by slowly drawing it in from the edge. Mix to a smooth batter, then set aside.
- Put a high-sided roasting tin on the hob spanning 2 rings and heat 2 tbsp oil. Add the sausages and cook for 5 minutes to brown all over, then add the onions and black pudding and cook for 3 minutes more until the onions soften and the black pudding crisps up. Stir through the thyme, then set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the tin, then heat in the oven for 5 minutes until the oil is very hot. Remove and scatter the sausages, onion and black pudding in the tin, then pour over the batter. Bake for 45 minutes until the sausages are cooked and the batter is puffed and golden. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the extra thyme, then serve in wedges with gravy and steamed veg.
Per serving (based on 6): 542kcals, 33.2g fat (9.9g saturated), 21.8g protein, 37.7g carbs (4.9g sugars), 2g salt, 2.2g fibreè
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney
Joe Wicks’ Bad Boy Chilli Con Carne
Yorkshire Pudding Burger
Slow-Cooked Port & Venison Casserole with Oatmeal & Parsley Dumplings
Spicy Meatball Popovers with Lemon & Chive Yoghurt
Yorkshire Pudding Wrap