For the brownie
- 200g butter, cut into pieces
- 300g dark chocolate (preferably 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 120g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 3 large eggs
- 200g soft dark brown sugar
- 100g salted caramel toffees, chopped
For the topping
- Carnation caramel
- A few sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Line the base of the Lakeland Brownie Traybake Tin with baking parchment.
- To make the brownies, put the butter and chocolate into a non-stick saucepan and heat very gently, stirring often. Remove from the heat before fully melted, so that the mixture doesn’t become too hot. Set aside to cool slightly, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and baking powder together and stir in the salt flakes. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer for 2 minutes on the high setting. Stir in the melted mixture, then gently fold in the flour and chopped toffees.
- Transfer to the tin and bake for 40 minutes. Cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- Cut into 20 squares, using the markings on the tin as your guidelines. Top each piece with a spoonful of caramel and a tiny sprinkle of sea salt flakes.
Tip: It’s best if you top the squares of brownie with the caramel and sea salt just before serving. If you want them a little plainer, just omit the topping.