- 100g self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 50g chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 20g ground almonds
- 50g flaked almonds, chopped finely
- 50g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 red apples
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Put the tartlet pan onto a baking sheet.
- Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the ground almonds, flaked almonds and sugar. Add the egg and mix together thoroughly to make a stiff dough. Spoon into the tart tray, dividing equally between the six holes, and level the tops with the back of a teaspoon.
- Place each apple stalk end up and cut down on each side of the core, so you end up with four large wedge-shaped pieces with the skin still on. Place these pieces flat side down and cut into thin slices. Take one thin slice and curl it up into a loose coil, then slot this into the centre of the mixture on the top of one tart, skin side up. Working from the inside out, bend more slices into slightly curved ‘petal’ shapes and push them into the mixture to create a ‘rose’ effect on the top of your tart. Repeat with the other five tarts.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, then with caster sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, just so that the apple is beginning to tinge with brown. Cool, then serve.
How to make… the perfect Victoria Sandwich
How to make… the perfect Scones
Easy-Peasy Spring Bug Biscuits
Marbled Chocolate Orbs (with a hidden surprise…)
Step-By-Step Caterpillar Cake
Rosemary, Red Onion & Parmesan Focaccia for Remoska Tria
Malted Mixed Grain Loaf for Remoska Tria
Hot Cross Bread & Butter Pudding for Remoska Tria