For the pastry
- 220g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 110g chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp cold water
For the filling
- 80g fresh beetroot, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 250g cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 large eggs
- 250ml milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 120g Stilton, broken into small chunks
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Put the quiche pan onto a baking tray.
- To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and rub in the butter until it looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the poppy seeds, if using, then add the cold water to make a soft (not sticky) dough.
- Knead the pastry lightly for a few moments, then roll out on a work surface sprinkled with flour and use to line the quiche pan. Line with crumpled foil or baking paper and baking beans.
- Put the beetroot and cauliflower into a roasting tin with the olive oil and toss together.
- Place both the quiche pan and the roasting tin in the oven, with the roasting tin on the shelf below the quiche pan. Bake the pastry case for 10 minutes, then remove the foil or baking beans and paper and bake for 5 more minutes. Roast the vegetables for 10 minutes longer than the pastry case, adding the cumin seeds for the final 5 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then tip the vegetables into the pastry case and spread them out.
- Beat the eggs and milk together. Season with a little salt and pepper, then pour into the pastry case on top of the vegetables. Scatter the Stilton cheese on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes until set and golden. Cool slightly, then serve with salad or vegetables.
Tip: You can use a selection of roasted vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, red onions and peppers, instead of cauliflower and beetroot.
Easy-Peasy Spring Bug Biscuits
Marbled Chocolate Orbs (with a hidden surprise…)
Step-By-Step Caterpillar Cake
Rosemary, Red Onion & Parmesan Focaccia for Remoska Tria
Malted Mixed Grain Loaf for Remoska Tria
Hot Cross Bread & Butter Pudding for Remoska Tria
Jamaican Easter Spiced Buns
Easter Simnel Traybake