For the filling
- 500g butternut squash, cut into small chunks
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 courgette, cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the pastry
- 250g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 125g chilled butter or dairy-free fat, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tbsp chilled water
- Beaten egg and milk, for glazing (omit for vegan pie)
- Preheat the oven to 210°C/Gas 7.
- Put the butternut squash, onion, courgette and red pepper into a roasting tin. Add the oil and cumin seeds and toss to coat. Season with a little salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Cool completely.
- To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, then rub in the butter or dairy-free fat with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the ground coriander, then add the water, using a measuring spoon for accuracy. Stir with a knife, then bring the dough together with your hand to make a soft (not sticky) dough. Transfer to a surface dusted with flour and knead lightly for a few moments until smooth. Wrap and chill for 10 minutes.
- Roll out about two-thirds of the pasty thinly, and use it to line a 20cm Square Baking Tin. Spoon in the filling and dampen the pastry edges with a little water. Roll out the remaining pastry, then use our lattice pastry roller to make the top. Fit on top of the pie, pressing the edges together to seal. Brush with beaten egg and milk.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Tip: Vary the vegetables as you wish – try sweet potato with leeks, yellow pepper and aubergine or mushrooms.
Spanakopita Lattice Pie
All-Time Favourite Cheese & Onion Lattice Pie
How to make… the perfect Risotto with Sue Ashworth
Spiced Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Bake for Remoska Tria
Easter Brunch Shakshuka for Remoska Tria
Minty Pea & Potato Soup with Crispy Kale and Seeds
Courgette, Leek & Goat Cheese Soup with Halloumi Croutons
Curried Squash, Lentil & Coconut Soup with Toasted Coconut