- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally, plus 1 large peeled clove, crushed
- 2 large unwaxed lemons
- Bunch of fresh tarragon, half the leaves picked and chopped
- 1 medium (1.8kg) free-range chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g new potatoes, in 0.5cm slices
- 150ml dry white wine
- 200ml chicken stock
- Spoon the cheese into a bowl. Add the crushed garlic, the grated zest of 1 lemon and the chopped tarragon. Season, then mix well. Gently ease the skin away from the neck end of the chicken and loosen it over the breast, being careful not to tear. Spoon the cheese mixture inside the skin and smooth so it covers the breast evenly. Tuck any excess skin from the neck underneath to hold in the stuffing.
- Rub 1 tbsp oil over the chicken and season well. Halve the zested lemon and put it inside the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Scatter the sliced potatoes in a roasting tin, drizzle with the remaining oil and season. Put the chicken on top, cut the other lemon into thick wedges and add to the tin. Pour over the wine and stock.
- Roast for 1 hour. Add the garlic halves and tarragon sprigs to the tin, then roast for 25 minutes more (cover the breasts with foil if they start to brown too soon). The chicken is cooked when the juices run clear when you pierce the fattest part of the leg. Rest for 10 minutes, then serve.
PER SERVING (BASED ON 6) 476kcals, 20.4g fat (11.2g saturated), 50.1g protein, 18.4g carbs, 2g sugar, 0.7g salt, 1.8g fibre
A slightly grassy white, such as a young Bordeaux style, picks up on the tarragon flavour.
Yakitori Mini Burgers with Wasabi Dip
Jerk-Spiced Chicken Drumsticks
Orange, Thyme & Pine Nut Roasted Chicken for the Remoska®
Mary Berry’s Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Anjula Devi’s Chicken Curry
Anjula Devi’s Chicken Thighs with Pomegranate
Red Thai Chicken & Pineapple Curry
Steamed Chicken & Vegetable Noodle Bowl