- 2-3 lb hake, filleted and pin boned (ask your fishmonger)
- Vegetable oil
- Lemon juice
- Cut the hake into 7-8 oz portions.
- Trim away any belly meat and run your finger over the fish to check for any remaining pin bones.
- Season the fish with a little salt.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pan.
- When the oil begins to smoke slightly add the hake, skin side down, to the pan.
- A hot pan with sizzling oil is essential throughout cooking to ensure a crispy skin and properly cooked flesh.
- Cook for a couple of minutes on one side until the flesh begins to whiten.
- Add a couple of knobs of butter and allow to foam.
- Turn the fish to cook the other side. The skin should appear crisp and golden brown.
- Baste the fish with the melted butter for about 1 minute until cooked.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and a final baste before removing from the heat to serve.
Prawn & Crab Cakes with Lemon & Coriander Tartare Sauce
Thai Prawn Mini Bakes
Thai Salmon with Peanut, Lime and Chilli Crust for the Remoska®
Anjula Devi’s Mussels with Green Mango and Coconut Milk
Marinated Thai Salmon with Steamed Chilli Veg
Steamed Citrus Fish with Asparagus and Parsley Potatoes
Davina’s Cod and Pesto Parcels
Smoked Fish & Cider Pie