- 1.5kg (3lb) rhubarb, young and tender
- 1.5kg (3lb) sugar
- 25g (1oz) root ginger, tied in muslin
- 3 lemons
- 125g (4oz) crystallised ginger, chopped
- Trim both ends of the rhubarb stalks but do not peel.
- Cut into short pieces and layer up with the sugar in a mixing bowl. Cover and leave overnight to draw out the juice.
- The following day, put into a preserving pan with the root ginger, the grated zest and strained juice from the lemons.
- Simmer until pulpy, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove the root ginger, stir in the crystallised ginger and then boil until the jam thickens to a soft set.
- To obtain a stiffer set, add 250ml (½pt) of thick apple or red current juice, boil and finish as above.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal.