For the pastry
- 140g plain white flour, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- 35g chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 35g chilled white vegetable fat, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1-2 tbsp chilled water
For the filling
- 60g butter
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 60g ground almonds
- ¼ tsp Nielsen Massey almond extract
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 large Cox apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 60g blueberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Put the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter and white vegetable fat with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar, then add just enough chilled water to make a soft (not sticky) dough. Bring the mixture together with your hands and knead lightly for a few seconds until smooth.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and use it to line an 18cm (7″) tart tin, trimming the edges and pricking the base with a fork. Cover the pastry with foil, pressing it over the base and making sure the rim is covered.
- Put the tart tin into the Remoska, put the lid on and switch on. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by beating together the butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in the egg, then add the ground almonds, almond extract and lemon zest.
- Remove the lid from the Remoska and carefully set it to one side. Taking care, remove the foil from the pastry tart case (there’s no need to lift the tin out of the Remoska). Put most of the apple slices over the base, then add the almond filling and spread it out. Scatter the blueberries and remaining apple slices over the top, then sprinkle with the lemon juice and sugar.
- Put the lid back on the Remoska and cook for a further 20 minutes, covering the tart with foil if it begins to look too brown. Switch off and remove the lid and foil, then leave the tart to cool in the Remoska – this helps to crisp the pastry base. Serve warm or cold.
Tip: Try serving with crème fraiche flavoured with a little finely grated lemon zest.
Valentine’s Love Bug Cookies
Valentine’s Dipped Meringue Swirls
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Cake
Sticky Lemon & Pistachio Whirlybuns for the Remoska®