For the ganache
- 400ml double cream
- 400g good quality white chocolate, finely chopped
For the white chocolate sponges
- 115g unsalted butter
- 40g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75g caster sugar
- 115g self-raising flour
For the red velvet sponges
- 100ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp deep red food colouring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- To make the ganache, heat the cream in a saucepan until boiling. Place the chopped chocolate in a large bowl, pour over the cream and stir thoroughly. Leave to stand for 2-3 minutes then mix well again until the chocolate is melted and the mixture very smooth. Leave to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes before chilling in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, until firm enough to be spreadable.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4 and lightly coat the 5 pans with Cake Release.
- For the white chocolate sponges, place the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Heat gently for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until melted, smooth and well combined. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until well combined then beat in the chocolate and butter mix. Sift the flour into the bowl and gently fold in until smooth and well combined. Divide the mixture between 2 of the pans and smooth the surfaces, making a slight dip in the centre to help achieve an even rise. Set aside.
- For the red velvet sponges, stir together the buttermilk, red colouring and vanilla extract in a jug until well combined. Pour into a large bowl then stir in the butter, sugar and eggs, sift in the flour and cocoa then mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar until they fizz. Stir into the cake mixture then beat with an electric hand mixer for 1-2 minutes until smooth and well combined. Divide the mixture evenly between the 3 remaining pans and smooth the surfaces, making a slight dip in the centre.
- Place all 5 pans in the oven, evenly spaced, and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. Wait 5-10 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans then leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To assemble, place a red velvet sponge on a plate and spread with ganache. Top with a white chocolate sponge and repeat, alternating the sponges until all are sandwiched with ganache. Spread the remaining ganache evenly over the top and sides of the cake using a palette knife.
- Lightly grease a surface with white fat then roll out the green icing and cut out 6 medium and 14 small holly leaves, re-rolling the trimmings as needed. Then roll the red icing into very small berries and arrange the leaves and berries around the top of the cake in a circle, as shown.
- Lightly sprinkle the bottom of the cake with red then green sparkles and chill for a further hour before serving.