- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ mild red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp medium curry powder
- 150g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100ml coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper to season
- 125g paneer, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 50g frozen peas
- 30g baby leaf spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- A pinch of caster sugar
- Squeeze of lemon juice
Rice and/or naan bread to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil in the small karahi pan over a medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent, then add the tomato purée, cumin, garam masala and curry powder. Cook for 30 seconds, then add the tinned tomatoes and the coconut milk.
- Season well with salt and black pepper, bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the paneer and fry it, turning frequently, until golden brown and crisp all over. Add the paneer to the curry.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the frozen peas and spinach, pushing the leaves down to sink them in the sauce. Simmer for just a few minutes until the peas are cooked and the spinach has wilted.
- Add the sugar and a small squeeze of lemon juice, check the seasoning, and serve with rice or naan bread.
Prue Leith’s Thai Prawn Cakes with Crunchy Rice Salad
Prue Leith’s Cheesy Garlic Dough Balls
Prue Leith’s Indian Chickpea Pancakes with Chicken Bites
Prue Leith’s Falafel Wraps with Beetroot Hummus & Pickled Carrots
Prue Leith’s Egg Hoppers
Prue Leith’s Aebleskiver with Dark Chocolate
Prue Leith’s Hot & Sour Soup with Prawns
Prue Leith’s Classic Paella with Seafood