For the dipping sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
For the tempura batter
- 150g plain flour, sifted twice
- 75g cornflour
- ½ tsp salt
- 275ml sparkling water, well chilled
- 400g long-stemmed broccoli, washed and patted dry
- 1 litre vegetable oil
- Whisk the dipping sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- To make the tempura batter, mix the flours and salt together then whisk in the sparkling water until just combined – do not over-mix or the batter will not be light.
- Fill your wok (with the rack attached) with the vegetable oil and heat to 180°C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Dip 3 or 4 broccoli spears into the batter to completely cover, shake off excess and slide each spear carefully into the hot oil. Fry for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on the rack. Repeat in batches.
- Serve warm with the dipping sauce on the side.
Prue Leith’s Asian Coconut & Mango Crêpes
Prue Leith’s Falafel Wraps with Beetroot Hummus & Pickled Carrots
Prue Leith’s Egg Hoppers
Prue Leith’s Paneer Curry
Prue Leith’s Aebleskiver with Dark Chocolate
Prue Leith’s Hot & Sour Soup with Prawns
Prue Leith’s Classic Paella with Seafood
Prue Leith’s Double Cheese & Spring Onion Bites with Sour Cream Dip