For the Blinis
- 200g maris piper potatoes, peeled
- 110g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 180ml milk
- 1 egg
- 100g butter, melted
For the Salsa
- 60ml lemon juice
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 medium tomatoes (380g) deseeded, chopped finely
- 6 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely
- 1 small red onion (100g), chopped finely
- 1 small avocado (200g), chopped finely
- 1 tbsp rinsed, drained capers
For the Horseradish topping
- 1 tsp creamed horseradish sauce
- 80g soured cream
- ¼ tsp sweet paprika
- Boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender and then drain. Mash in a large bowl stir in sifted flour and soda.
- Make a well in the centre of potato mixture. Pour in combined rind, milk and egg, stirring until batter is smooth. Cover and stand for 10 minutes.
- Make salsa cruda by combining ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Make horseradish topping by combining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat a large frying pan brush lightly with a little of the butter. Cook tablespoons of the batter in five batches (brush pan with butter between each), until browned both sides.
- Transfer blini to wire rack to cool. Top blini with horseradish topping and salsa cruda and serve.