- 600g trimmed rhubarb, coarsely chopped
- 80ml water
- 625ml pomegranate seeds, from approx. 3 pomegranates
- 220g caster sugar
- 1 tsp citric acid
- Place the rhubarb and water in a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until pulpy. Pour the mixture into a bowl through a muslin-lined sieve. Stand for 20 minutes then squeeze the muslin to extract as much juice as possible. Discard muslin and pulp.
- Meanwhile, place the pomegranate in a muslin-lined sieve over a small bowl and squeeze the muslin to extract as much juice as possible (you will need approx. 250ml). Discard muslin and pulp.
- Combine the juices, sugar and citric acid in a pan and, without boiling, stir over a high heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil.
- Carefully pour the hot cordial into hot, sterilised bottles and seal. Label and date bottles once cold.
Tip: Choose red-stemmed rhubarb for this recipe. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.