- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 150ml (¼pt) milk
- extra milk or a beaten egg for brushing
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add milk all at once and mix into a soft, but not sticky dough with a knife.
- Turn on to a lightly floured work surface. Knead quickly until smooth. Roll out to about 1cm (½”) thick then cut into rounds with a 6.5cm (2 ½”) biscuit cutter. Brush the tops with milk and carefully arrange them in the Remoska. Bake for approx. 15 minutes or until golden and cooked. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sultana scones add 50g (2oz) sultanas to mixture before adding milk. For cheese scones omit the sugar and add 50g (2oz) grated cheddar and 1 teaspoon dry mustard (if desired) to mixture before adding the milk.